Saturday 30 December 2017

Vale first road bike (Al)

All a bit sad really, as this old girl has done sterling service since I got back into cycling nearly a decade ago.

Ironically enough I only mentioned the other evening to B how much I'm enjoying her again (too hot to run so road riding it is). 
So, I was out towards Hermansberg and pushing a bit into the westerly wind and felt something rather catastrophic happen when I tried to change gears.  The derailleur had sheared off from its bracket and hit one of the back forks, cracking the carbon fibre.  Luckily I was still in phone range so Bean came out in the Troopy to rescue me.  Unluckily, significant carbon fibre fractures are not repairable, as I found out later in the day when I took the girl into the bike shop.

And she's so old now, a new frame isn't a go as most of the bits on her don't fit the new frame specs. So a new bike it is, though I'm not sure it'll fill the gap left by my first cycling romance.  Ordered and arriving next week. Next year's birthday and Christmas presents combined.  Hoping to start enjoying the anticipation and cease mourning the old girl.  Carbon fibre eh.  You know (in your head) there's a price to be paid for such a lovely ride but, really.